Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A look back in time...


This drawing, of what I imagined as being a building in an Italian or Greek village, was my first attempt at drawing anything since art class in elementary school. One day, back in the fall of 2003, I found this reference photo, I believe from www.wetcanvas.com, and decided I would draw it. It took me a very long time and a lot of erasing before I felt like I gave it a good go. You can see that there are many imperfections in this drawing, the values are not really there, but at the time, I was very impressed with what I had done. I had actually sat there for many, many days and drew this freehand, no tracing involved at all, no rulers or tools...it was all me!

That is one thing that I love about drawing. I get frustrated when my drawings don't go the way I envisioned them, but if I keep at it, I end up with a piece of art that totally impresses me. I'm not really that concerned if other people are impressed, although I feel really good when I get compliments and I appreciate them, but the most important thing is the sense of accomplishment that I feel when I sign my name to a piece of art that my hand drew.

No comments: